Marketing Director (senior level marketing position)
Opportunity to direct the Overleaf marketing team of four people (and growing!) in marketing initiatives which cover both B-to-B and B-to-C markets globally.
Overleaf has a current focus on four markets – B-to-C: Direct to consumer via our freemium web sales model (researchers, students, etc); B-to-B: Institutions and Universities; Enterprise Accounts (national labs, research labs, technical organizations, pharmaceuticals, government organizations, etc.); and Scholarly Publishing (publishers, associations, institutions and organizations who are publishing journals and books). This position will help to develop marketing plans and goals for these four markets and guide the marketing team to implement those plans and reach the goals. As this is a fast-growing company, you will also have the opportunity to guide the growth of the marketing department and team.
Position available in either the US (East Coast) or UK. Remote position in the US and partially or fully remote position in the UK (with the option to part-work from our London office).
Who we are
Overleaf's award-winning collaboration technology is now in use by over three million researchers and technical writers in institutions, labs and industry worldwide.
Overleaf is a collaborative writing platform that makes research faster and more efficient by letting researchers collaborate more easily and more effectively on their papers, from idea to writing to review to publication. We're growing rapidly, supported by our lead investor and partner, Digital Science, and are looking for brilliant individuals to join our team as we continue to push the boundaries of research collaboration. It’s an opportunity to work with an amazing team and an incredibly fast growing organization - so fast that we were recognized in the Top 100 UK Fastest Growing Businesses at the end of 2018, and are a finalist in the upcoming Impact Awards 2019 showcasing the UK’s best #techforgood.
What we’re looking for
As the Marketing Director at Overleaf, you will guide and lead your team with the goal to help Overleaf grow our brand and customer-base in four main markets throughout the world.
We are looking for an individual with both a B-to-B and B-to-C marketing background (including experience with web-sales marketing and web-analytics) who is organized, driven, and can grow and lead a team. This individual must be technically savvy with a desire to learn about and then market the Overleaf SaS platform.
Overleaf has a reputation of being friendly and helpful – our marketing message and team must always project a helpful and friendly style.
What we need you to do
- Work with the CEO and CMO to develop and implement the Overleaf marketing plan;
- Successfully develop, implement and track marketing plans and initiatives to B-to-C and B-to-B markets globally;
- B-to-C: generate and analyze web analytics to determine the best actions to grow the Overleaf user-base through our freemium service;
- B-to-B (Institutions, Enterprise and Publishers): Generate leads to provide to the sales team (including campaigns and processes to grow B-to-B leads from our B-to-C silo);
- Help the sales team with targeted marketing campaigns for their market and territory – to generate leads and grow revenue;
- Manage and direct an Events Coordinator on choosing and coordinating conferences, sponsorships and events;
- Manage and direct a Content Development Editor to provide content that fits with the marketing plan and goals and then to track its impact on those goals;
- Manage and direct a Community Manager to develop and grow various community initiatives around the Overleaf user-base and to help and support the LaTeX community;
- Help direct website development based on information obtained via data and analytics;
- Coordinate, update and develop literature and swag as required for events;
- Work with the sales team to build literature, case studies and reference cases to showcase Overleaf’s ability to deliver business value to the customer;
- Use Salesforce to track marketing campaigns in relation to sales;
- Be confident in defining and communicating the differentiated value of Overleaf to the customer, both at the technical and business level;
- Be proactive in communicating with the extended Overleaf team around all aspects of marketing – and ask for help when you need it;
- Be organized and driven – crucial skills to successfully market and grow globally in 4 vertical markets and working with a distributed team;
- Have good written and oral communication skills – with an attention to detail;
- Provide reports and feedback on the data and analytics around our website and our marketing goals and initiatives;
- Hire marketing team members as needed, based on requirements of the marketing plan and goals.
Daily tasks will include developing and successfully implementing your marketing strategy, leading your marketing team and making sure the team stays focused and on-target to reach Overleaf’s marketing goals – picking up tasks where needed, as needed, when necessary. This is a remote position (or partially remote position) - the person hired for this position should be self-motivated and display a high level of independent judgment and decision-making. Travel to conferences and company meetings will be required.
Reports to CMO
What you bring to Overleaf
- Marketing management experience with a demonstrated history to successfully develop and implement marketing plans.
- Experience leading and growing a team (distributed team experience a plus).
- Knowledge of marketing to both B-to-C and B-to-B markets globally.
- Technical knowledge and ability to learn and market SaaS offerings.
- Knowledge of web sales and web analytics, with demonstrated experience in using that knowledge to benefit marketing plans and goals.
- A demonstrated ability and background in communicating/positioning software technology preferred.
- Knowledge of marketing to Institutions, Enterprise and/or Scholarly Publishing a plus.
- Excellent organizational/project management skills.
- Sense of urgency necessary to meet goals, objectives and deadlines.
- Will usually be available in our core hours, 2pm–5pm UK time (9am-12pm ET).
- Enthusiasm, and a desire to grow with the company and try out new things!
This is a remote position (or partially remote position) – the ability and desire to work from your home office and be self-motivated is required.
- Remote and flexible working.
- Competitive compensation package.
- You would join a small, dedicated and growing team.
- We're backed by Bethnal Green Ventures (https://bethnalgreenventures.com/) and Digital Science (https://www.digital-science.com/), through which we're part of a wider community of startups in science, health and ed-tech.
- Our London office is shared with several other Digital Science companies, so there's lots of interesting people to meet, and clubs and sports activities outside of work.
- You can pick your own equipment. MacBook Pro? Lenovo ThinkPad? Notebook and pen? However you like to work, we'll provide what you need.
- We provide a training budget; many of our staff choose to attend relevant industry conferences or buy training materials.
As Overleaf is a fast-growing company, there will also be opportunities for the person hired for this position to grow and develop, and to take on additional responsibility.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.